Friday, June 3, 2011

All Finished (I think)

I usually keep skating updates at my other blog, but this one was crafty, so I thought I'd add it here.

I bought this dress from You can see the front and back "before" views at their website. I got the stones from their prices were the lowest I found for 10 gross. (I went with Preciosa instead of Swarvoski, as some people say they actually sparkle better from a distance, and well, they are a little bit cheaper. Having seen them side by side with the Swarvoski ones I had from something else (just one or two) I will tell you I can't tell the difference. A warning about Beadsfactory- their shipping is absurd, although, even still the rhinestones were the cheapest I could find, just beware.

I did also order a test cross from an ebay seller that were represented as "crystal, a good substitute for Swarvoski" and while Kevin never took them to the lab to test them, they look like plastic, so I'm glad I didn't go with that avenue- although those were cheap.

I used Crystal AB 20ss, and as I said, ordered 10 gross, although it turns out I would have been fine with 5 gross (I used just under 3 gross for this dress, and wanted some for another dress), so since BeadsFactory only sell by 10 gross, I spent more than I had to. But- who doesn't need rhinestones! I see lots of sparkly decorating in my future.

Doing these dresses took a weekend, as I had to wait for the back to dry overnight to do the front. It was super easy- about 1/3 of a bottle of E6000 and 19 toothpicks were used. There are a few stones where the glueing is a bit wonky, but from a distance they all look good.


SuzyQ01 said...

Love the results - it turned out pretty and sparkly!!

Linda said...

It's so pretty! I can't wait to see what you decorate next--I have visions of Elsa's leash glittering in the sunlight or Kevin showing up to work with a tie all blinged out. :)