|My one block wonder layout. Now I have to sew them all together. No Y-seams though. They are only trapezoids, so I will sew them as strips first.|
|This is what the fabric look like uncut. Isn't it so neat how the character of the fabric changes in the kaleidoscope effect?|
Then, I aligned 6 repeats of the fabric into a stack, and cut 3.75" strips. From those strips, I cut equilateral triangles. (This is a fairly simple process- I didn't buy the book.)
Well, I meant to cut equilateral triangles. The first ones I cut, I lost about 50% of them to poor cutting. They did NOT make regular hexagons, the triangles were not even close to equilateral. It was very upsetting. The second half of the fabric, I managed to cut ever single one of them so it aligned correctly- yay!
So what did I do differently? Well, I had read some handy advice by a woman who made tons of these quilts to NOT use the truncated top that some of the 60 degree rulers have. So I didn't. And apparently, this would have worked well, if I am skilled at cutting, but by not having that top to align to the top of the strip, I apparently let my ruler move. Which caused major issues, I guess. The second half of the fabric I cut using the truncated top and it worked much better.
So, I set aside all the bad blocks and sewed them into hexagons (the good blocks are sew together in strips, to avoid set in seams). Once I had the hexagons, I sewed together the ones closest in size, hoping to have enough for a charity quilt. I did all of these with Y seams- the first time I've ever done them, they came out okay.
|Wow this photo is blurry, sorry about that. This is just a tiny quilt, but all the hexagons were done with Y seams! Yay for new skills!|
Since I'm into feathers right now, I tried them again. Since this has been washed, I'm not sure how well you can see the quilting. Oddly, the thin thread made them harder- it was much harder to travel stitch on such tiny thread.
|Feathers. Oddly, the picture loaded upside down, so this is upside down feathers.|