Friday, April 26, 2013

A little vanity...

I liked my hair so much before work this morning I made Kevin take a picture of it.

Want to know how long it took me to style it?  About 30 seconds.

All I did was put a little gel on it to help prevent it from frizzing too much during the day. (I did have to walk in the wind to work, so it is a little bigger now, but still looks nice.)

I finally learned the secret to curly hair! Plopping and pineapples (oh, and step 1: have curly hair).

When I get out of the shower at night, I lay an extra large t-shirt over the (closed) toilet, flip my head upside down, and then plop my hair into the middle of it.  Then, you wind up the edges of the t-shirt like a turban and wear it for a few hours to let your hair dry.  Unlike the traditional towel turban, this set up doesn't catch any of the hair in the twisting- so it lets the curls set into their natural shape with no pulling. 

Then, when you go to bed you can sleep in that (but I don't like to because it has a knot in the back of your head) or put your hair in a "pineapple"- just a really high ponytail, but named because the ridges of curly hair make the back of your head look like one. So flip your head upside down again, loop a loose scrunchy (don't tie tight) around your hair, I do it twice for a 'dew drop' on top of my head and go to sleep looking ridiculous. (I also find this is good for any sleeping, because it puts the ponytail too high to sleep on.)  I've been told pineapple works for 'second day' hair too, but I haven't tried it.

So then the next morning, untie your hair, shake your head, and if you are lucky (I think luck does play a part) your hair is perfectly curled and ready for the day.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mario Quilt Done!

I've had this mostly done for a long time, but I finally put the binding on. (I really hate binding, and I do it by machine- I still hate it.)

So last week I sewed the binding to the back, last night I figured out how to do the seamless join of the two ends of the binding (4 tries to get it right- I did it "right" on the second time, but there was a twist, then I did it correct- but I had about an inch too much binding for the quilt, then I got it!)

Then today it got washed, I fixed a couple areas of the quilting that had thread bunches (I am not sure if that is from the batik, or from the interfacing in the quilt, it was weird) and all done!

The back isn't too interesting.  Kevin picked a batik with kind of a brick pattern, and colors that he said remind him of Bowser's castle.  The black strip is because I had just barely not enough.
I put a label on like a good quilter.  I won't use this font again, the word quilter looks weird (though slightly better in real life than the photo.)
This quilt is for Kevin, though of course, as soon as I put it down (to pin color catchers on the red- but I prewashed, so no issue...) Elsa claimed it: