Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Geek in Me?

By chance some friends of ours from Ohio were stopping in our town while moving from Colorado to Washington DC (ah- military life! Since Ohio, they've also lived in Florida...in the mean time, Kevin has been separated and we've enjoyed the steadiness of Iowa life.)

After coming across on facebook that we live in this city (apparently it was a "Kevin lives in Iowa doesn't he? Checks facebook...hey same city!) They called to see if we wanted to get together. A chance to see old friends- of course!

So we planned to get together for dinner, and a little wayside trip. These are our "geeky" (kinda...) friends who introduced us to the awesomeness of games like Settlers of Catan and Munchkin and the like. They are apparently Star Trek fans. So we went to Riverside, Iowa- the future birthplace of Captain Kirk (well, depending on which storyline you follow, apparently).

My life long avoidance of all things Star Trek has ended. (I've done slightly worse on Star Wars- I actually own some of those movies, and I think I've seen all of them, or at least pieces.) I don't think I'll be getting a geek card anytime soon though. While looking up information on this place (which is really odd, btw- doesn't it kind of look like a grave?) I said "William Shatner played Captain Kirk? Really?"

Oh- and the dinner out. We had sushi and it was fantastic- though the wait for it to be made was LONG.

1 comment:

SuzyQ01 said...

Look at you, getting your geek on! How nice to meet up with friends for a little sushi, too!