Sunday, August 12, 2012
This particular snowflake has been a pain to quilt.
I call this design coffeee beans and it is one I came up doodling during a meeting. It is surely inspired by something I saw at the Free Motion Quilting Project previously, but I didn't look it up there.
Well, it was just slow going. I started this square 3 weeks ago, and got about 30% done the first day I quilted it, and then left it. Then, last weekend I did maybe 10% of it. (The Olympics have taken all my sewing time these past two weeks.) Friday I have half days at work during the summer, and that is usually when I do a square- well 3 Fridays, and this one didn't get done. This Friday, I took a nap instead. Today, I decided to finally finish it up.
Whew! Overall, I really liked the look of it. I cut it square and damn it-
I turned it over and I had caught the extra backing in the stitching. I had to rip out about 3 square inches, and redo it. I don't THINK you can tell where the fix is, so that's okay.
But I made stupid ruler mistake AGAIN. See, I have a 12.5" ruler, which is used to make finished 12" squares. And surely the ruler makers know it is for that purpose. But the center of the ruler is NOT the center of the square. No, rather than a quarter inch being added to either side- the extra half inch is on one side (like a proper ruler should be, to be fair). So half the time I use it to square up, I'm off centered.
In the end though, it's done, and I like it well enough to go into the quilt.
(If you see black lines in the picture it is because I hadn't ironed them off yet. I use the Frixion pens to mark my boundaries quilting, going just outside them. But of course, if I don't pay attention to where I am cutting, then they stay on the quilt...)