Sunday, February 17, 2013

UFO Sunday

So, I am still basking in the glory of having finished Winter Wonderland.  I have photos of it taken and am getting CDs ready to send to see if it will get juried into a show...  I don't think it will, but this is the first quilt I've ever made that makes me think I really ought to try.

This weekend, I did the sashing on the Mario quilt, and now the top is all finished up.  Don't look too closely- there are lots of mistakes!  It will be awhile before I quilt it.  For two reasons: first the gajillion seams every inch really scare me, it is going to be a pain to quilt; second the sashing isn't perfect (this is why I never sash!) and it bubbles up a bit.  I think that I should be able to handle that though.  Third: I need to find backing fabric.  I would like to use video game fabric, but the only one I've found so far is Pac Man, and my husband vetoed that.  A friend in Korea is going to look for Mario for me, but otherwise, I will probably just use a solid or marbled fabric.

I also started quilting the words onto Express Your Love.  I've got to say, at least close up - it isn't too pretty.  I'm not going to do any of the other 'ribbons' until Leah demos some other methods (she says she plans too...)

I've also started designing another art quilt.  Our guild challenge is art quilts, so this will take priority over EYL, as I need to have it done I think by June.  I'll post about that as time goes on.

6 comments:

Kelly Vetch said...

I love the Mario quilt so much! They are my favorite games. I can't wait to see how you finish. :) Goodluck on the backing search.

Lynette said...

Good for you, entering Winter Wonderland! Good luck with it. :)

FUN FUN Mario quilt :D

Anonymous said...

Practice, practice, practice and those sashings will become perfect.

Cindy said...

What a cute quilt. Don't let it scare you. If you can piece it all together then you can quilt it. I hope you can find the perfect backing fabric for it. Mario fabric would be awesome for the back.

Danih03 said...

You could always do another square on the back, like a mario mushroom, or a vine up the middle, but supersize it so it doesn't take so long. I know it sounds like a lot of extra work for the back, but if you make it big, It would go pretty quick. Your top looks awesome!

Sharron Keck said...

Your Mario is great! and don't worry too much about the puffiness, I'm told it will 'quilt out' :)