Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Saturday....

So anyhow, this was our anniversary trip. Our actual anniversary we won't be able to have a nice celebration, so we decided this should be it. It will be 5 years, my goodness time flies.

We dropped Elsa off at Brianna's house (thanks!) and headed out to Omaha. Man western Iowa has a TON of wind turbines.

Because of the 3 nights I stayed in a hotel for Motown Tango we earned a free night. With no other time to use it, we decided this would be a great idea. We got a room at the Holiday Inn in Omaha, and it was gorgeous. The lobby was beautiful for this class of hotel, and the room great. It had 2 "areas" divided by a full and half wall, so the bedroom was essentially seperate from the living room. And both areas had HDTVs in them. Too bad it was only one night :(

We went for dinner at Le Voltaire and it was just fantastic.
We started with an appetizer sampler: escargot, smoked salmon, baked brie, duck pate, and artichoke and spinach gratin. So yummy!!!! Well except the duck pate. I was not a fan. But Kevin liked that. The brie was so good (I had actually forgotten about it...) and the escargot was lovely. Kevin and I joke that if you prepared a tennis shoe with that much garlic and butter it would taste good. But the gratin, on the bread they served, was definetly my favorite.

For my main course I had a filet mignon which was served with a brandy peppercorn sauce. I was worried about the taste of brandy (yuck!) but there was none at all. The sauce was incredible! And just the right amount of pepper, though occasionally biting into a peppercorn was a bit of a shock :) It was served with incredible mashed potatoes, and sadly over salted carrots and too crunchy for me green beans. Oh well, I can have vegetables anywhere.

For dessert I went with the creme brulee. (Seriously, how could you get anything else?) It was very good, though I think the sugar was more burnt that i prefer. The creme was very thick and very sweet. It was one of the best ones I had, but it was so sweet I could not eat it all- I get sugar headaches...

Then we went back to the hotel and watched the rest of the Texas football games (great football weekened for Iowa, A&M, and Texas) and I worked on the knitting project I started in the car- and am almost finished with now :)

3 comments:

IASoupMama said...

Yay for a great trip!!

Linda said...

It all sounds just wonderful! So glad you two decided to celebrate early instead of just toasting with coffee in paper cups in an airport later!

Shanna said...

Sounds like a great anniversary celebration!!! FIVE YEARS!!! Time flies by...