Saturday, June 16, 2012

A little bit of quilting...

Today I am spending quite a bit of time quilting scallops on my snowflake quilt.


But I thought I would share a square from one of my latest charity quilts, because I tried something new: a marked pattern. I learned a lot from this. The method of marking, that many call easy, is NOT easy- at least if you don't use the proper tools.
I traced the pattern from a book onto paper (regular paper, I didn't have tracing paper) and then used a non-threaded sewing needle in the machine to perforate the paper. Then, I sewed the design over it, and ripped out the paper. In some places, the paper ripped off easily, in others, it would get stuck under the thread and I'd spend a TON of time picking paper out. I won't be using this again. Maybe tracing paper makes it easier, but it is not my method of choice.

Because those took SO long to do (though admittedly, they look really pretty), every other block in the quilt I put a freehand spiral, an easy fall back.

Anyhow- I watched a video the other day that talked about a great marking method if you can't use a lightbox to trace, so I will try it next time. Basically, you trace your design with a sharpie on a piece of tool. And then use chalk or a marking pen over the tool to transfer the design onto the quilt. That sounds like a winner. I like these quilted motifs, and hope to use more of them.


I quilt at least a charity quilt each month, often up to 4. I just don't post about them much because I usually stipple. But they are also where I experiment One I did machine embroidery quilting to try it out- the quilt looked amazing, but the designs are too expensive, and the hooping takes forever, so I probably won't do that again.

Still, it is really nice the guild has an on-going supply of practice quilts for me!

I signed up for a free motion quilting class with Diane Gaudynski at the Des Moines AQS show- sadly, it isn't until October. I wish I could have taken a second class, but I also want to drive out a second day to see the show. I am doing "perfect FMQ", but she has a class specifically on feathers I wish I could take. She is offering five different intermediate level quilting classes- all except the one I'm taking on a very specific shape: bananas, circles, echo quilting, feathers, and then the more general class. Having never taken a class before I thought general was the way to go, even though I really need feather help! Her feathers are brilliant, but I'm probably going to just buy her book afterwards. (Actually the class I was most interested was about circles, but it was only a half day class, and taking a second half day class- probably another of hers, was too expensive...)

Now, however, I need to figure out a shopping strategy for the show. I know I am going to be exposed to SO much stuff I've never seen.

No comments: