Saturday, June 1, 2013

New Purse

It has been a very very long time since I updated any craft project.  Sorry!

Part of it, is that I'm stuck in a rut- I haven't started a new quilt.  The snowflake quilt was so awesome, and quite honestly, so was Mario. So I don't know what to do next. I don't want to step back to ordinary after those things.

But, I have been making a few things, which means the other problem is I'm just bad about blogging.

So I'll show off one project today and then try to post about the others soon.

I made another bag:

I've made this bag before, on my Kenmore.  OMG! It was so much easier on the Bernina.  I did break a needle on one of the insane seams, but once I switched to a denim needle and my jeans foot, as long as I used my leveling thingy (to bring the foot flat)- it sewed right through, without even hesitating. I wasn't sewing full speed- but holy crap, that is some POWER in this machine.  I had to hand crank the wheel on the Kenmore and it still skipped stitches.

So the reason I remade this purse was because my first one was just worn out.  It had stains on it, and the corners were beginning to tear a bit.  I took this purse everywhere for years.  It went on 3 cruises with me, and served daily as my lunch bag.

This purse is amazing.  EIGHT pockets. And lots of space.  I love it so much.

It is also incredibly easy to make- except for the fact that there are an insane number of layers (made more insane by the fact that I do double the pockets.
Let's talk layers.
Each side is 3 layers, cotton + fleece + cotton.
Each pocket is the same 3, plus it is bound on the edges, so that adds 6 layers (due to folding of the binding), so 9 layers per pocket.

Let's stack it all up, 2 sides, 4 pockets: 34 layers. Then, to make it look nicer inside, you enclose the finished seams in binding, another 4 layers: 46

total layers, 6 of them are fleece.  See why the machine needs some major power behind it? 

But it is totally worth it.  Unfortunately, all those layers makes it hard to line up.  I tried really really hard to get the binding on the sides to be right. It's just impossible to pin.

My only other tip: if you aren't into quilting, or want a quick project: buy pre-quilted fabric.  I think it took longer to do the quilting on the fabric than the rest of the bag.

Oh, and use water soluble thread for the first stitching of the handles.  I knew this, but I didn't. So that means I have some double lines of stitching and it doesn't look perfect.

I also wish I had put in a thicker zipper, in a matching color- but this was a stash project, and that was the zipper I had in my stash, so it will have to do.

1 comment:

Susan Owenby said...

Neato! I think the zipper is fine. Looking forward to whatever you come up with next. (pressure! :D )