Sunday, June 30, 2013

Art quilt

Every year my guild has a challenge and this year was to make an art quilt.  I was excited about that- because it is the area of quilting I'm most interested in. However, it turns out I'm not artistic at all.

I decided to make a literal quilt. The quilt wouldn't lie to you, so it must be art.

For this quilt I used a variety of new techniques, and mixed it in with my old favorite: free motion quilting. Just like my snowflake quilt, each square has its own free motion design.  The new techniques are : ice dyeing, over dyeing (I dyed the finished quilt, minus the word Art, rather than the fabric ahead of time), free motion couching, and free motion in open space. It is also a bit mixed media, because it incorporates the sequins (glued on), and possibly you could count the yarn in that (I also dyed the yarn).

Here is a close up of the couching. The thread I used matches the blue yarn, and it sews onto the yarn, not around it.  If you look closely you can see it on the yellow, and in a few spots on the fabric where the needle missed the yarn completely.  The free motion couching foot is awesome, but not fool proof.


1 comment:

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Awesome! Looks really great and is, in fact, ART. Thanks for sharing!