Sunday, May 8, 2011

Product Review: Olay Massaging Soap

If you've been reading my blog for a while you know that I am obsessed with soap. I like to buy handmade soap from a few different places (and shampoo bars) but I'm not anti-store bought soap either (even though it's really detergent).

I also am a lover of a good massage. My back and my legs are in constant pain. So when I saw the massaging soap bar commercials, I thought that might be something good for me. (I've seen forms for handmaking this kind of soap too.)

Compared to handmade soap- around $5 a bar- the stuff is down right cheap. I got 4 bars for about $6.99 at the grocery store. This is in line with the other bars I like, Dove Winter Care (so moisturizing!) and Dove Gentle Exfoliating (I like the scrubby feel, and it's fairly moisturizing too.) The comparison prices I found on amazon for winter care were 8 for $9.99 and for exfoliating was 2 for $4.40. Not sure what they cost in store, but it's about that.

So what did I think of the soap?

Well first, the massage feature is divine. It felt AMAZING on my legs, but it was too painful on my arms (which have some pressure/pain issues). I can't really reach my back well enough to use it there, so for my arms and back I used the smooth side of the soap to wash, hoping to not wear down the massage nubs.

And that's the main problem. The massage feature only lasts for maybe 3-4 washes. And that was using it JUST on my legs. After that, you have a normal bar of soap.

The scent I got was "Purely Pristine". I have no idea what that means, but it was vaguely floral. It was nice, and not overbearing, but I almost think it wasn't strong enough to create a pleasant shower experience. I'm not a real perfumey person, but this you practically had to sniff the soap to smell it.

It lathered really nicely, and the soap looks like it's fancy. It has glycerin insets so it looks like something expensive from a bath and body store.

I don't think I would use this as a winter soap, because while my skin doesn't feel dry after using it, it does have that "tight and clean" feeling. Iowa winters demand major moisturizer, but Iowa spring you don't need quite as much.


Final verdict: I like it, but not as much as the other two soaps I mentioned. Will buy again if the price is right.

No comments: