Sunday, May 13, 2012

Spring Vacation: Day ? April 19, 2012

So, our vacation story isn't over yet.  I just got tired of writing it :)  (It was more fun to take.)

Next, we woke up bright and early, grabbed some breakfast and headed down to the World's Bar to wait to be called for disembarkation.  We decided to self-assist, so we had all our luggage with us.  We got to the elevators when no one else was there, but as more families with children, or seniors stood behind us, we decided it would be easiest to just carry the luggage down the stairs.  I wouldn't say it was "easy", but it wasn't difficult either.  Don't pack more than you can carry is a good rule of thumb.

Our floor was called shortly, and we walked off and joined the long line for customs.  Despite having more than our allowance for duty free, we weren't charged anything extra (we were barely over), and went to find our shuttle bus.  Lighthouse parks ALL THE WAY at the end of the terminal, but it was easy to find.  We waited for a few more passengers and were taken to the parking lot, just by our car.

Then, rather than heading straight to Austin, we took a short detour through College Station.  Driving to C.S. always makes me happy- heading there from Austin or Houston, I did both drives so much, they are familiar and say "home" to me.  Which is funny, if I really think about it.  C.S. wasn't really my "home" for all that long.

While we were there, we caught up with my good friend Shanna, and I met her girls.  I last saw her when she was pregnant, and they are already so grown up.
We then drove to the Bonfire Memorial. 
Kevin had never been, but was pretty deeply connected to the accident for a Longhorn, so I think he was really moved by it.  I have been three times now (including the dedication) and this time it really got to me.  I think as I get older, it just gets so much more tragic.  When I was that young, I don't think I ever really appreciated how young most of the people who died were.  Now that I'm older, I can't imagine what it must have been like for the families who lost kids who were just in the first semester of college. The memorial is really nice though.  The doorway shown points towards Austin.
Afterwards, we stopped at my favorite College Station location: Texas Avenue Freebirds!
And then, we headed back to Austin.  We showed off our trophy haul, and had a family dinner.

1 comment:

GopherLass said...

I didn't really understand that we COULD keep our cases with us...there were all these leaflets and announcements about having bags out by such-and-such time the night before we disembarked. But as you say, as long as one is physically able to carry one's luggage down a couple of flights of stairs...

I get why it's easier for the CRUISE LINE, though.


What do you do with all the cruise tat? You must have a cabinetful by now!