Friday, November 11, 2011

Embroidery Trick!

This hoop was filled with sticky stabilizer, and the design has already been pulled off.

The large hoop that came with my embroidery machine is indeed large. I'd like to get a smaller one so I don't have to waste so much stabilizer. Stabilizer is expensive- but honestly, so are hoops!

Joann's has Sulky stabilizer on the notions wall, and recently it was half off. Before I buy the OESD stuff the dealer recommends (WAY expensive) I wanted to try this stuff. So far, I really like it.

I bought 8 1/4" width, because my hoop is just slightly smaller than that. But I didn't take into account the over hang needed. Uh-oh. 8 1/4" is just a little too small.

But I found a way to make it work. Tape a line of packaging tape to the edge (about 1/2" in) of the stabilizer. Turn it over and tape down another strip to de-sticky the tape.

Hoop up the stabilizer! The packaging tape works as the over hang. In most cases, it doesn't even get into the "free" area of the hoop, instead being below the upper hoop, but if it hangs over at all, it is just barely- so as long as you aren't planning on embroidering all the way to the edge of the hoop, it works.

This is going to save me a bundle, because wider stabilizer would be more expensive, and create more waste, but packaging tape is cheap.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Way to go on finding a way to be thrifty! I'm proud of you!